Sunday, November 29, 2015

1 Nephi 8:18

18  And it came to pass that I saw them, but they would anot come unto me and partake of the fruit.
            -this could be the saddest, most heartrending verse in all of scripture.
            -what was in the character of Laman and Lemuel specifically (and in the others, who would not come, generally) that kept them from going and partaking?  Lack of humility?  Pride? Seeking for momentary pleasure?  Too difficult?  A desire to be “free”?  Obstinance?  Why would they not come?  What motivates such fundamental definance?  Why not just go and try it and then make a decision to leave or linger?  They would not even acquiesce in the least degree.
            -This experience, if it did nothing else, should have served as a graphic warning for Laman and Lemuel… Did they realize the wake up call?  I am convinced that we are given numerous chances to turn to the Lord.  I know the Lord’s hand was very active in my life but until I was in a position of needing to look for Him I never saw him even though He had so frequently prospered the path I walked.  How proud and ungrateful I must have been to suppose that I was directing my life in some wonderful manner, that I was solely in control.  With this attitude I could easily have thought that my was and my desires were the things to be sought after.  Thank God that  I “learned” to love God’s ways more than my ways.

    “I saw them, but they would not come”
            -can there be any more agonizing and crushing sadness for a parent than seeing one of your children but not being able to do anything to help them or save them from clear and inevitable pain.  This is the ultimate in helplessness and impotence.  To stand by and watch as pain is inflicted (by another or in consequence of ones own deliberate obstinance) upon one who you deeply love requires superhuman strength.  This is the burden of a God.  Do I have such capacity?  We are being fit for unbridled power yes, but more importantly for a level of discipline to be able to  restrain ourself from using it inappropriately. 

      “they would not come…”
            -it is a fundamental principle of the gospel to do what Lehi did next and it is more easily seen when we manipulate what he might have done and illustrate the wrong action:  He did not then make them come and partake of the fruit!  The agency of man is supreme.  The war in heaven proved that early on.  In fact, we can see just how fundamental  that agency is by 1) how it was so strongly defended as well as the severity of the penalty that was passed on to those who would have encroached upon it, and 2) that Satan used it as his first/fundamental argument for following him.  He strikes at the elements of God’s plan that are fundamental and vital (i.e. agency, the family, procreation, etc.)
            Evidently Lehi (and God) would rather have their children face the possibility of being lost rather than deny them their privilege to choose for themselves.  As terrible as it may be to lose a child to Lucifer, it must be a worse thing to deny them their agency!
            -What would happen to a soul if it were denied his/her agency?  We know what happens (its eternal state) to a soul when he/she becomes subject to the devil, what happens if agency is denied must be a worse situation!  And conversely, they who properly use agency must have the most glorious reward.  What is it about making our own choices that is so fundamental/central to our final reward?

No comments:

Post a Comment