Monday, April 27, 2015

1 Nephi 1:17

17  But I shall make an account of my proceedings in my days.  Behold, I make an aabridgment of the record of my bfather, upon cplates which I have made with mine own hands; wherefore, after I have abridged the record of my dfather then will I make an account of mine own life.
            -Why make an abridgement when a full account already exists?  I suppose that this question might also have crossed Nephi’s mind.   His genius and greatness is that he did not need an answer to obey.

            -Nephi is making three records:  first, “an account of my proceedings in my days”; second, “an abridgement of the record of my father”; and third, a historical or secular account of the non-spiritual activities of his family and the emerging nation (see Nephi 9:2).  Consider the circumstances and technology of making these records:  inscriptions on plates of metal.  The metal had to be found,  The engraving method did not easily allow for corrections (no eraser, whiteout or delete button).  The time alone necessary to make these records should cause those of us who are “too busy” to sit down at a computer and compose entries into our journal, ashamed at our many excuses.
refind and manufactured into sheets.

     “upon plates which I have made with  mine own hands”
            -where does Nephi get the idea of manufacturing plates and composing a spiritual history on them?  Clearly he had seen his father engaged in this exact activity.  Where did Lehi get the idea?  Perhaps it was from the great value that was made obvious through the process of obtaining and the subsequent reading of the plates of brass.  These sacred, inspirational records of the great prophets of the past became a model for Lehi and Nephi who may have hardly recognized that they would become the first of a great line of prophets themselves.  The present quickly transitions to the past.  Our current trials become invaluable sources of strength for future generations experiencing their own uncertainty, tragedies and challenges of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment